TERNOPIL STATE MEDICAL UNIVERSITY
according to IV (fourth) highest level of accreditation by the Ministry of Health And Education of Ukraine. It is composed of national and international students. There are about 800 foreign students from 48 different countries all over the world.
Ternopil State medical Institute was inaugurated on September 1, 1957 by the resolution of the Ukrainian government of April 12, 1957. In the city that had been almost completely destroyed during the World War II and just began rising from the ruins, it was the first higher educational establishment. Three days after the government resolution, the appointed Director (Rector) of the Medical Institute, Candidate of Medical Sciences, surgeon P.O. Ogiy (later on M.D., Professor) and prof. Martynyuk A.H., the vice-rector, arrived to Ternopil. By the decision of the Regional Council, two educational buildings and two hostels were allotted to the Institute. The clinical base was provided by the City Hospital that had been functioning then as the Regional Hospital. Morphological building, Regional Hospital and a new hostel were under construction. 19 departments began functioning at the Institute, 66 teachers were working there (including 1 M.D., and 17 Candidates of Med. Sc.).