NATIONAL MINING UNIVERSITY OF UKRAINE-DNEPROPETROVSK
. One can find a similar higher educational institution in terms of profile diversity and high quality of training specialists for the national economy, scientific potential of professors, and richness of the traditions. But there are not many institutions in the country, which scientific and cadre potential laid the basis for more than two tens of educational institutions and scientific-research institutes. Among them there are Dnipropetrovsk Institute of Chemistry and Technology (1930), Dnipropetrovsk Metallurgical Institute (1930), Northern-Caucasian Mining and Metallurgical Institute (1931), Scientific-Research Chemistry Institute named after Melikishvilli in Tbilisi (1929), Moscow Welding Institute (1925), All-Union Scientific-Research Designing Technological Institute of Pipe Industry (1929), Institute of Physical Chemistry named after Pisarzhevskiy in Kiev (1927), and others. To crown it all, this institution became the first higher educational institution in the whole Katerinoslav Region.
The ceremony of Katerinoslav Higher Mining College (KHMC) opening was conducted on October 12, 1899. At the beginning Mining Higher Mining College had two departments – mining and factory ones, but their academic curricula differed slightly (only in number of hours in some disciplines).
The curriculum according to “Statute of KHMC” foresaw 23 disciplines: God’s study, higher mathematics, analytical mechanics, construction mechanics, applied mechanics, mine-factory mechanics, physics, chemistry, electrical mechanics, mineralogy, geology and science on deposits, geodesy, mining art, ore and coal dressing, surveying, metallurgy, technology of metals, drawing and drawing geometry, accounting and mine-factory economy, technical translations from German and French, first aid at accidents. The training process was provided by 13 teachers.
At the very beginning there was founded a two department library, a mineralogical museum, chemical, mechanical and probe laboratories, cabinets in each disciplines. Nevertheless the College had a lot of problems for a long time. Ten years after KHMC establishment there were only 9 teachers, and a stable cadre leakage took place. This made it urgent to equal the Technical School in rights with higher educational institutions and to turn it into Katerinoslav Mining Institute. On June 19, 1912 the State Legislative body adopted a bill on restructuring the KHMC into Mining Institute since July 1. At that time there worked outstanding scientists, mainly graduates from Saint-Petersburg Mining Institute. They were Ya. Grdina, V. Guskov, S. Zaborovskiy, L. Ivanov, N. Lebedev, P. Leontovskiy, V. Makovskiy, L. Pisarzhevskiy, M. Protodiakonov, P. Rubin, A. Terpigorev, M. Fedorov, S. Sharbe.
The publications of scientific works in technical periodical journals, monographs, study books, atlases testified of high scientific potential of the educational institution. The KHMC systematically edited “News of Katerinoslav Higher Mining College” since 1905. Up to 1917 there had been edited 23 collections of “News”, published about 500 scientific works including monographs and study books. In the period of the educational institution formation there were established scientific schools and directions: Ya. Grdina became one of the founders of cybernetics, A. Terpigorev and V. Protodiakonov – the school of mining, V. Guskov – mineral dressing, Leontovskiy – the school of surveying, geodesy and geometry of deposits, M. Lebedev – geology and stratigraphy of Donbass, P. Rubin – metallurgy and coke chemistry, L. Pisarzhevskiy – electron chemistry.